March 25, 2009

Energy Efficiency Shows the Way in Coal's Stronghold


National Group's Study Shows Ohio Can Create More Than 32,000 New Jobs, Save Over $19 Billion, and Reduce Energy Demand Over The Next 15 Years

COLUMBUS, Ohio (March 25, 2009) - Ohio could save over $19 billion by using energy efficiency strategies that are available right now, says a study released today by the American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy (ACEEE), an independent, Washington, D.C. nonprofit research group. Ohio could also create more than 32,000 net new jobs by 2025, including well-paying trade and professional jobs needed to design, install, and operate energy efficiency measures. In total, the direct and indirect jobs created would be equivalent to nearly 250 new manufacturing plants relocating to Ohio, but without the demand for infrastructure and other energy needs, the study says. Investments in energy efficiency policies and programs have the added benefit of creating new, high-quality "green-collar" jobs in Ohio and increasing both wages and Gross State Product (GSP).

The study, Shaping Ohio's Energy Future: Energy Efficiency Works, was conducted by ACEEE researchers with support from a team of national experts in energy use. The 183-page report outlines policies to reduce electricity demand through improved energy efficiency, combined heat and power, and demand-response recommendations that reduce peak demand. The energy efficiency policies would reduce peak demand by 18% by 2025, while the demand response savings policies would reduce conventionally generated electricity by an additional 11%, for a total reduction of 29%.
Read more.

Note: Santee Cooper's Pee Dee plant would create an estimated 100 jobs, with a minority of them going to the local labor force, while exporting 70% of the multi-billion dollar investment to other states and nations. Compare the economic promises of coal to alternatives like energy efficiency here.

No comments:

Post a Comment